Saturday, June 04, 2005

I am angry

So last night I was hanging out with some friends and one of them was getting a little a lot drunk. She’s quite a tough girl; if I was that drunk I probably would have been unconscious, but she was keen to keep going. In fact, despite the fact that we were already in a bar,she wanted to go to a yuppie dance club across town. She asked me if I wanted to go with her (I didn’t mind hanging out with her, but I didn't want to go to the club). "How are you going to get there?" I asked. "Walking," she said.
Oy. Visions of her washing up in the river danced (or swam) through my head. Like I said, she was plenty drunk. So I agreed to accompany her, and thus we set off on a whirlwind journey for the next few hours, where I not only managed to keep her from getting killed, I also avoided the dance bar. I’m not going to go into details so as to spare her embarrassment (although she has nothing to be embarrassed about. [You don’t, you know]), I just wanted to set up my point, here.
Like I said, I was concerned about her not getting killed, but I think my main concern was something more sinister. While we were in the bar I was watching her like a hawk. After we left the bar I never let her out of my sight. Why? Because there are men who, when they encounter an obviously very intoxicated young lady, will take advantage of her. Some may refer to that as "getting laid." I call it "rape." How fucked up is it that I live in a society where this is a concern? In my society (the one in my mind), when a man (not boy, not guy, a man) encounters someone vulnerable, someone who needs help, then what you do is help them. What you do is stand up, and do the right thing and be brave and true, because that fucking counts for something. And I know that you read in Maxim that the most important thing for a man to do is to get laid and think about sex all the time. You know what? They’re wrong. That’s not what men do. That’s what boys do. Children are selfish. I know that your friends (sorry, buddies) talk to you about getting pussy, and ask, "did you fuck her?" and tell you "you should have fucked her." They’re wrong. They are products of a fucked up society that is so sick and broken that they have been trained to believe that this is how the world should work. A world where status, where having good stories to tell your friends, where hurting (where hurting), is more important then being decent and gentle. There are people reading this who think this way. They are thinking, right now, that I am a pussy. That I am a faggot and a gaywad and a dork and I probably never get laid and "dude you should fucking check out this faggot-ass site because this guy is so gay." I could not would not would never should not give less than half of a rat’s ass what these people think, because they are wrong in a terrifyingly massive way.
A few months ago, I was at a dance club (why? Why?); which was, in fact, a rather badly designed dance club. It was very crowded and everybody was trying to squeeze past each other and this one guy was elbowing elbowing elbowing me and I was fucking sick of it. So I did what a Maxim/Spike TV/ Hustler/Man Show/WCW MAN is supposed to do: I shoved him. Because he was touching me and I was drunk and mad. He sputtered like an old woman, I kept walking, it went no further. A half-hour later, when I had sobered up a little, I felt ashamed. I felt lower than a snake’s belly. I had been frustrated and I had lashed out like a child. Like a child.
Last night I helped my friend; I kept her safe. Today, I woke up and I felt proud. I held my head up. I felt like a man. *
If you are reading this, and you would ever take advantage of a drunk girl (or any girl, anytime), then fuck you. A thousand times fuck you. I wish a parade of stiletto heels into your balls. You know better. I hope to God you do, anyway. You have to. Jesus Christ, you have to know in your heart what is right and what is wrong. Don’t you? Please?
So, yeah,I am a gaywad, faggot pussy bitch. What the hell are you?
Let’s wake up. Let’s be men; it’s easy. You’ll feel better, I promise.






*I know this is a bit self-aggrandizing, but my moments of pride are fleeting. Forgive me if I relish them.

12 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Leigh said...

Amen, brother. :-)

9:49 PM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

This is why I want to give you a big hug and a batch of freshly baked cookies.

It's curious: if it takes more strength to protect and defend, and/or resist baser instincts, then who's the really pussy? I've never understood that. The weakest, most cowardly guy I've ever met was the most abusive and also the most bent on having sex with anything that slowed down long enough to pounce on.

I'm so proud of my dashie.

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for not letting me get murdered. you're a stand up guy, bradley. and next time, i'll keep you from getting murdered, as i am never drinking again.

-a.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Loz said...

I don't think you'll get a bunch of people reading this thinking you're a gaywad, I think you'll get a lot of people reading this and agreeing with you, and maybe, just maybe, having a little bit of a crush too.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

Mr. Bradley, I believe your mojo is working.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Loz said...

It is indeed - a force too powerful to resist!

8:23 PM  
Blogger Dash Bradley said...

Aw hell, I'm a gaywad.
And you're welcome...uh... anonymous, but don't give me any shit about never drinking again. You shall drink again, I promise you. I will make it my business.
And thanks all for the comments, but I...I don't think it makes a difference. God that just sucks.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

Hmmm, you know who else thought that way? Uberdilf. And he wound up winning my heart by being a stand up guy. And he gets cookies all the time!

1:10 PM  
Blogger Melanie was here said...

I wish there were more men in the world who thought like you. Great post, and you are obviously a wonderful man and an amazing friend.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Dash Bradley said...

I was really hoping that a lot of guys would read this and comment: "Wow, you're right. i should change my ways. You are correct on how men should behave. I will stop being utterly worthless, immediately."
In retrospect, that was unbelievably naive of me.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

You are my hero. *swoon*

7:17 AM  
Blogger Dash Bradley said...

(catches Brooke Rose)

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home