Monday, November 15, 2004

But is it art?

I am going to give you a link and a story about why you should possibly not follow that link. This is the link: other peoples stories.
This is the story. It's a website collecting various peoples' (both famous and infamous) anecdotes. Stories about old girlfriends, bad weddings, college roommates, etc. Stories both funny and sad. Now, the website is a grid of squares; as you click on each square it takes you to a page with the story, and an interesting photograph. Pictures of buildings, or antiques, or exotic animals, etc.
One night, at work, I was studying this site with considerable interest. It was very late, and I was at the ass-end of my shift. I clicked on the next square, and leaned back in my chair. I rubbed my eyes wearily, and a call came through on my headset. Still staring at the ceiling, I launched into the standard greeting with which I am required to answer the phone. The customer started to talk and I at last turned to my monitor. Imagine my surprise when I saw that the next story had loaded up, with a photo of two small children, naked, wearing lion masks, giving the finger to the camera. This would be a good time to mention that my work records all calls, as well as what was on your screen during the call.
My first thought was, of course, "fuck." I clicked off the page, only dimly aware that the customer was prattling away in my ear. My mind was already anticipating how I would explain to my superiors a)why I was looking at a picture of two naked children, and b)why I seemed to linger for so very long before clicking off the page. It seemed pretty apparent that I was going to be fired and arrested and my balls would be cut off in prison and my name would be put on some list and I would have to tell everyone when I moved into the neighborhood. All in the span of about a minute. I got through the rest of the call, somehow, and I waited for the hammer to drop.
If anyone has loaded up and viewed this particular call, they have, perhaps tactfully, not mentioned it to me. But it is out there, waiting. Concrete evidence that I am a pedophile. Fucking great.
That being said, it's a pretty good site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home