Wednesday, January 12, 2005

I'm back

Although I never really left...
I just utterly failed to have dinner; I attempted to go to the Pita Pit and there was a line-up. Line-ups at the Pita Pit are the worst; as you might expect, all the pitas are hand made by awfully young and harried people. Despite the fact that these employees are quite visibly doing the best they can, everyone in line silently glowers at them. No one speaks, or socializes with their friends, just glare. It creates a very tense, hostile atmosphere; none too conducive to pita enjoyment. In addition to this, when everyone gets to the front, they immediately forget the x people behind them and take their sweet fucking time with their orders ("Are those peppers fresh?"). Bastards.
So I went to Subway instead; strike two for dinner, but this one was my fault. Around where I work, there are really only two places to eat at night if you're in a hurry: the aforementioned Pita Pit and Subway. As Pita Pit is cash only I generally go to Subway. For some reason, virtually every time I go the only person working is this sullen, punk-girl. I go there often enough that I figure she has to recognize me, although she never acknowledges it, i.e. with some sort of banter. Anyway, I always feel really uncomfortable in these situations, where I'm a regular. I don't want to be recognized, or have anyone know how often I go to Subway, or what kind of sandwich I like.
It wasn't always this way, I am also a regular at two different bars, and once upon a time that was a source of great pride, but now it's kind of embarrassing. I don't know why I suddenly crave anonymity when I drink or eat, but there you go.
Long story short, I went to Subway and sure enough the sullen punk-girl was there, and I chose starvation over recognition. I could have gone back to Pita Pit, but the patrons might have remembered me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home