Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Get with the program

I just read a fascinating article in the Guardian about people who deprogram cult members. What I found most interesting is that the author spoke to some cult-leaders to get their perspective. You get this sense that there's this tug-of-war, with the deprogrammers charging the cults with being money-grubbing control freaks, only to be accused of the same thing by the cult- leaders. I don't know, I'm all for freedom of religion, but I get nervous when a group refuse to let any outsiders know what they're up to. Say what you want about mainstream Christianity, but they tell you exactly what they're about, often obnoxiously so.
Also interesting: the deprogrammers website; it's a database of active cults. Good to know, I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home