Saturday, April 02, 2005

A New Direction

I apologize for the hiatus, should anyone give a fuck, but it's been a strange week. As of Tuesday, March 29th, I have quit drinking. It was not an easy decision to make, but I have decided it is necessary, as I am an alcoholic.
I've told several of my friends about this (their reaction? "Good, about time."), and everyone's question is: "What happened?" I guess I'm supposed to have some sort of bottoming-out drunken flameout experience that forces me to quit. It doesn't work that way; I have had many bottom-scraping flameouts in the last few years, and it didn't make me quit. It was a combination of a lot of little factors, mainly a growing distaste with my lifestyle.
When I was young, I was somewhat serious about my inherited Christian faith. When I was 15, a tragedy forced me to question those beliefs for the first time. Faith is a fragile thing; once you start questioning it, it collapses pretty quickly. Alcoholism is kind of similar; once you are aware that you are an addict, that you have a disease, it's hard to ignore it and go back to having a good time.
So here I am, teetotal; sober as a judge. I must say, everyone has been very supportive (even the bartender at my local pub is behind me. Isn't that great?); for some reason I thought people would give me a hard time.
It's only been a few days, but it's been an interesting experience. I've been to a few bars, felt tempted, but didn't drink. I ordered club soda, which is what alcoholics always order in the movies. I understand why: club soda is very unpleasant; it tastes like carbonated salt water. Hence, you tend to sip it slowly, giving you the tactile experience of alcohol. It works. Also, I always thought that booze gave me courage, or at least loosened my inhibitions. Not so; I find I feel more confident sober. Who knew? So as a result of all this, the blog must change as well. Gone are the days of falling down all the time and making an ass of myself. But here are some of the exciting upcoming features at DashBradley.com!

- coherent conversations with women!
- saving 600.0+ dollars a month!
- not falling down!
- less self-loathing!

I, for one, am looking forward to it.

2 Comments:

Blogger *********************** said...

I don't know man. Tread cautiously into the realm of sobriety, as it is a strange and disturbing place. Good luck on your journey bro.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Dash Bradley said...

Bah! I've never shied away from strange and disturbing! Do your worst, sobriety! Do. Your. Worst.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home