Friday, December 08, 2006

A Flower Grows in South Vancouver

The story of my strange and lengthy encounter with a young gangsta chick while on my way home the other night.

Part 1: On the Bus
Gangsta Girl: Hey, is this Fraser St. here?
Me: Yes.

Part 2: Getting off the bus.
Gangsta Girl: Can I have a cigarette?
Me: Sure. Here.
Gangsta Girl: Thanks.

Part 3: Walking to the Bus Stop
Gangsta Girl: Hey, I'm supposed to meet someone, but I'm way early, do you have a phone I can use?
Me: No (which was true, I don't have a cell phone.)

Part 4: At the Bus Stop
Gangsta Girl: Yeah, so I'm supposed to meet someone and I said it would be in, like, half an hour and I'm really early.
Me: Yeah, sorry, I don't have a phone.
Gangsta Girl: It's actually a guy I just met on the bus. He told me to meet him here and he said he lives, like, a block away.
Me: A block in which direction?
Gangsta Girl: Exactly!
Me: Huh, that's annoying.
Gangsta Girl: I know. Hey (pointing at a guy sitting at a bus stop across the street), maybe that's him!
(she walks across the street and stares at this guy, who looks uncomfortable, then she walks back)
Me: No luck?
Gangsta Girl: Nah, wasn't him. But there's a pay phone across the street, I'm going to try calling him. If you see a dude named Ben, tell him I'll be right back. Just go 'Ben!' at every dude who goes by.
Me: Uh, okay.
(she walks off to the pay phone, as I stand there and wonder how long I'm expecting to wait here. Also, in the unlikely event that my bus arrives on time, what is the etiquette here? Should I let the bus go and wait for her? Anyway, the bus doesn't come and she walks back)
Me: Well?
Gangsta Girl: Yeah, he says he's coming soon. I think. I don't actually know this guy so I can't say for sure if he's coming. Damn it's cold out! Anyway, I'm glad you're here. I feel safer.
Me: Sure.
Gangsta Girl: if you weren't here, you know, what if, like, some old guy drives up. The I'd have to stab him.
Me: Sure.
Gangsta Girl: And I would, too! I have a knife, I'll fucking stab somebody! But I'd rather it not come to that.
Me: No one wants it to come to that.
Gangsta Girl: God, this is so sketchy. I don't even know this guy, i just met him on the bus. Now I'm going to his house! Hey, could you lend me, like, two bucks in case I need to get out of there? Then I could take a bus at least.
Me: For that, you can have two dollars (I give her two dollars).
Gangsta Girl: Thanks. I'm kind of drunk.
(At this point I realise she's been drinking a can of beer the entire time)
Gangsta Girl: This is so sketchy! I don't know what I'm doing.
Me:(hopefully) You know, you could just take those two dollars and go home right now.
Gangsta Girl: (nodding slowly as she ponders this) You know what? You're right. (pause) But maybe I'll wait around a bit longer.
Me: (not so hopefully) Uh-huh.
Gangsta Girl: Shit! And there's your bus! Well, I guess you're leaving.
Me: I guess so.
Gangsta Girl: Well, thanks for everything, man.
Me: You going to be alright?
Gangsta Girl: Yeah, he'll be here soon.
Me: Good luck.
Gangsta Girl: Thanks.
(she hugs me. I get on the bus)

Part 5: On the Bus
(I feel like kind of a piece of shit for leaving her, but she was a drunk girl wandering the city alone, about to go home with a dude she met on the bus. She needed more protection than than I was capable of providing.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although your gangsta love was sweet, it would have inevitably come to a bitter end. Perhaps a stabbing when you forgot to put the toilet seat down, or a stabbing of your friends when they gave her the crook eye. That noble bus most likely saved your life, my gentle friend.

11:17 AM  
Blogger sir_fresh said...

I don't understand why you just didn't lend her your glock.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Dash Bradley said...

Lend her my glock.
I don't think a lack of weaponry was exactly her problem.
Also, ah don len my glock to no wun, muhfucka!

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home