Tuesday, July 05, 2005

You want the truth!?

I saw the film Last Tango In Paris last night (and it was excellent), and I had a thought. Yes, just one. In the movie, Marlon Brando plays a man whose wife has just committed suicide, and he enters into a self-effacing affair with a young woman. Now, there’s a scene where Marlon visits the body of his wife, and starts to berate her, just a torrent of obscenities, that gives way to a weeping, pathetic appeal. This scene reminded me very strongly of a scene in Magnolia (possibly my favorite film), where Tom Cruise’s character confronts his dying father, and also unleashes a vitriolic attack that degenerates into childish weeping. The similarity of both scenes struck me with this thought: Tom Cruise is the new Marlon Brando! Think about it; Brando was a famous, critically lauded, popular actor whose talent became overshadowed by his increasingly eccentric personal life. Sounds like Tom to me! You can’t go to a supermarket without seeing fifty magazines talking about how crazy he is, nor turn on the TV without hearing about one of his crazy interviews. I think he’s just getting started. I think weirder on-set behavior, many marriages, massive weight gain and private islands are all in his future. Scientology is a fabulous start.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ubermilf said...

Great! Now he can go into seclusion. We're waiting... any day now...

Did Brando make a movie as bad as "Cocktail?" I'm not buying your comparison until you show me some Brando crap. And you do the research cause I'm old and tired.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Dash Bradley said...

Brando crap? Are you nuts? Island of Dr Moreau? Don Juan Demarco? Christopher Columbus: the Discovery? The defense rests.

12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cocktail makes me so fucking angry!!!!

So there's a club the size of a fucking warehouse, and there's even a balcony that's packed with people. And for all of the 5000 people who have come to boogie down on a school night, there's only one bar, all the way at one side of the room.

There's only two guys working the bar, and are they busting ass to get the drinks out to an army of cocktail watresses?
No, actually they're fucking around, throwing bottles in the air and spinning around like pansies.

And does the crowd tear them to fucking pieces?
No, they clap.

Because that's how a crowd of yuppies who are being denied a drink after paying a $20 cover would behave. They would be delightly applauding the assholes who are fucking around with bottles in their asses instead of mixing drinks.

God, it fucking pisses me off!!!

Last Tango? Genius! (get the scissors. the nail scissors)

12:26 PM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

Oh yeah.

What defense? And what the hell is Canada Day and why is it suspiciously close to our Fourth of July? Since you're so good at research, tell me that. And, who killed your friend Chuck.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Dash Bradley said...

I'm not saying Brando and Cruise are on the same stature as actors, I'm simply saying they are both iconic, and both have, or soon will have, lost their minds.

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://bovzrjsd.com/ahtb/uolr.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://kjxopsjh.com/yjep/jqgc.html]Cool site[/url]

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
http://bovzrjsd.com/ahtb/uolr.html | http://aglpkryq.com/otwr/mama.html

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home