Sunday, December 12, 2004

Cold Mountain

The other day I finally caught Cold Mountain on DVD. Spoiler spoiler spoiler.
I like it right up until the fucking ending. I mean, seriously, I think it is now against the law to do a film where the protagonist is not shot at the end! I've talked about this previously, but come on, people. What's the point? He traveled all that way, went through all that shit, fucked Nicole Kidman and then died. What are they trying to say? It's just really lazy storytelling, I think; why bother actually concluding the story when you can just kill Jude Law and voila! Pathos, tragedy, romance. Done and done.
Is it too much to ask for a non-mainstream film to have a happy ending? I know it's terribly unhip, but can we just try it once?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home