Sunday, December 05, 2004

Issues!

I am pro-choice.
I find the whole abortion debate very strange, because the two sides aren't really arguing the same thing. The pro-life side is saying "abortion is WRONG," while the pro-choice side is saying "well, yes, maybe, but it should still be a choice." I mean, it's 'pro-life' and 'pro-choice'; it's not 'pro-life' vs 'anti-life.' I don't consider myself 'pro-abortion.' But pro-lifers are always going on about when is a life a life, and whether or not it's murder, but that doesn't really seem relevant. I'm willing to concede that, yes, it probably is murder, but I don't think a child being raised by someone unfit to raise them is necassarily a better option. It's just too complicated to reduce to a black and white, good/bad equation.
That being said, I think the pro-lifers need to rethink their tactics. Even if I was against abortion, I'd be hesitant to consider myself 'pro-life.' There's a bit too many pro-lifers who are pretty willing to throw fake blood around, show gruesome photos, present bizarre doll baby props, and, oh yes, shoot people. I just don't think that covering a baby doll with fake blood and screaming at teenage girls outside of clinics is the best way to convey any opinion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home