Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Watch your grill!

Woof! Well I got old-school stinko, last night. Been a long muthafuckin’ time since I did that, doctor. It all started when I finally finished the last book of Stephen King’s Dark Tower series. The oeuvre of Monsieur king has been a guilty pleasure of mine for some years, however I think the Dark Tower books are genuinely well written. I first started the series about ten years ago, so I was pretty excited when King finally released the last volume. The ending was entirely appropriate for the series, but also mighty depressing. I went downtown to buy the newly released The Life Aquatic to try and cheer myself up, but I decided that I would need company to truly buoy my sprits. So I called up a buddy and we were off to the races. Me and this dude have a long and storied history of drinking together, so we fell back on old routines pretty quickly. Well, after he finished crafting a bong from an old beer bottle, that is. I am generally not too impressed with stonercraft, and I find head shops really annoying, but I was pretty impressed with his handiwork. We got another dude and bounced around the city for a few hours, scrounging liquor, food and pants where we could. I am truly an alcoholic, because I am rarely happier (or approximate happiness better) than when I’m wandering, drunk, without any appreciable goals. It’s like swimming; you leave all your earthly concerns back on the surface, and just let the current carry you where it will. Yesterday, it carried me to my local pub where I ran into some girls my friend and I met on St. Patrick’s day, at that same pub. So we joined them, and as I recollect it, I was quite charming and personable. Of course…
You see, I can moderate my drinking up to a certain point; up to, let’s say, drink #X. After I drink drink #X? All bets are off. Last night? All. Bets. Were. Off.
So I think I was charming and personable but who the fuck knows? A curious note: At the end of the evening my friends had left and it was just me and the ladies. As I’m a chivalrous drunk I insisted on walking them home (they live just up the street from me). They insisted that I not, to the point that they walked me home. Now, the neighborhood I live in has a reputation for being kind of dangerous (which is part of why I love it), so I’ve never encountered girls who would refuse a walk home. So what’s the deal? I figure that either a) they thought I was hitting on one, or both, of them and I was going to try and segue the walk home into an invitation into their apartment where I would attempt some sort of "move, " and they were heading me off at the pass. Now let me just say that that was not my intention, I am simply a gentleman. Let me also say that the above is a great move which has met with success in the past, and I would likely have given it a shot. So it was either that or b) I was too drunk and embarrassing for them to deal with any further. I’d kinda put my cash on this one, as I can be sort of a handful when I’m pretty drunk; they likely (and correctly) thought that I was more of a risk to myself than any potential attackers, and that’s why they declined my gallant offer.
Of course there’s option c), that I was neither charming nor personable and was, in fact, an obnoxious drunken ass and they wanted to be rid of me. I hope to hell it’s not this one, but you never know. Ultimately, I think my only agenda was to not be alone, but I needn’t have worried as I fell asleep immediately as soon as I got in my apartment. All in all, this has been an excellent reminder of why I should get a handle on my drinking. I don’t think I was an ass last night, but I would really love to know for sure, so that I wouldn’t have to dread seeing these girls again.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ubermilf said...

I am not going to lecture you, my delicious slab of Canadian Bacon. But if you really thought you were doing the right thing, you wouldn't be agonizing over it.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Patrick Hartley said...

Ya I concur

10:20 PM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

And now, a bad poem. For my friend Dash Bradley:

Dash Bradley is fair of face and kind of heart
His thoughts insightful, his writing art
He makes me happy every day
His dancing frog says, "Come. Let's play!"
The world is better cuz he's in it
I thank God for him each minute

Oh, Dash Bradley, you've danced madly into my heart!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Dash Bradley said...

If you haven't noticed yet, agonizing over things is my lifestyle.
And thanks for the poem (turns head away quickly). What? No, there's... there's just some dust in my eye, that's all (sniffs). Go on, get out of here! Quit gawking! I never liked ya anyway! (leaves quickly, shielding his face)

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home