Friday, November 19, 2004

Bookstore of the Damned

I basically only buy used books. Besides the fact that this allows me to avoid the extortionate prices of new books, it also lets me favor my favorite used book store. This store is quite evidently staffed by shut-ins, who are not overly occupied with aesthetics. Hence, the packed bookshelves are often leaning over at an alarming angle, and in some cases are held up by pieces of wood nailed to the ceiling, or other bookshelves. The majority of books, however, are stacked on the floor. Piles and piles and piles, in front of every shelf, surrounding every aisle. Every flat surface, basically, while still allowing a narrow corridor for actual customers. It's great.
It's a very tactile experience buying books there as you have to get on your knees and search. I find it makes finding good books far more rewarding when you've had to work for it. There's no databases, or helpful clerks here, my friend. You're on your own. In fact the clerks tend to draw away when you go ask for help, fearing an outsider, with dangerous new ideas....
On top of all of this, used books come to you with a history. Recently, I bought a copy of this book, which had an inscription on the front inside cover which said "Happy Birthday Dad, from Stephen and Patrick," or something to that effect. You could tell from the writing that they were kids. Now, initially I found that rather charming, until I realized that the book was, like, three years old. Old dad didn't waste much time unloading this thoughtful present. I found every scenario I came up with was rather depressing. Maybe dad had passed away, or the kids, and someone sold the book as a painful reminder of their lost loved one(s). Or maybe dad had fallen on hard times, and desperately needed the few bucks from the books' sale. Or maybe he was a drunk, or a junkie, or a degenerate gambler. Or maybe he hated the book and was an unsentimental dick. I seriously debated for a while about whether I should buy a book with such negative associations.
For the record, I did, and it's a really good short story collection.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://lodeuffs.com/fzqj/evoi.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://ymbtbgvm.com/zrbx/xbve.html]Cool site[/url]

3:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
My homepage | Please visit

3:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://lodeuffs.com/fzqj/evoi.html | http://cevkjfbs.com/ogtc/viyj.html

3:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home