Tuesday, November 23, 2004

One hour forty-eight minutes later...

I just saw '28 days Later' the other day. I though it was okay but it really falls apart at the end. The problem with all these transcendent genre movies, like 'Scream,' is that they never quite get away from the conventions of the genre. 28 Days Later was pretty smart, up to a point; eventually, though, it was just another exercise in mindless carnage. Moreso, in this case, as it was zombies tearing up the soldiers, who we don't even care about.
Also, the first two thirds are about the struggles of our protagonists; they take a pretty active role in their fates. But the last third, they just sit around waiting to be killed/raped, while the soldiers menace them, menacingly.
Another thing, why don't the infected people attack each other? They seem to kind of team up against the non-infected people. If the virus is just rage, wouldn't they direct that at anyone in range? And why do they have so much energy? If I get angry I don't get this boost of super speed and strength. If I'm feeling lazy and angry, I'll just scream at people from the couch. I think that would make a better movie, actually, with the protagonists trying to avoid the infected peoples' verbal abuse. The infected people in the move are real go-getters; they have a dynamic skillset.
One last thing, is it me, or was the plot basically the same as 'The Day of the Triffids?'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home