Saturday, February 12, 2005

More Musings from Vincent Gallo

Alright, I'm in a mood. Here's more interviews with Mr. Gallo.

Here's an interview with a cycling magazine.
"Q: JFK Jr. rides.
VG: He’s an asshole, so it doesn’t even count. I can name a bunch of assholes who ride bikes."

Here's an interview at a site called IFQ.
"IFQ: Many people tell me you have great taste in music.
VG:: Who are these people? I wish people would stop talking about me behind my back."

"IFQ: In the credits of Buffalo '66 it states Chris Hanley as the producer. Can you tell me about him and why you chose not to work with him again or most of your crew from Buffalo '66?
VG: ... Chris Hanley couldn't organize the shipment of a postcard and his dreadful partner/wife is one of the most repulsive people I've ever met. But her daddy is rich. And so the Hanleys exist, feeding off the carcasses of desperate filmmakers. I shit on both of them."

Here's one at a site called EInsiders.
"EI: Since control is so important to you in all aspects of your life, who do you allow to get close to you? Who do you trust?
VG: ...I’m really the kind of guy who when I die in my apartment like an animal, no one will find me for three months until someone comes knocking on my door because they need to borrow money and eventually they find me."

From Film Freak Central.
"FFC: [Angelica Huston] was pretty vocal in her displeasure with you.
VG: ...And at some point I told her some things like, 'Listen, baby. We got your name, that's all I needed, I got my money. I'll put your wig on a fat truck driver and shoot him from the back.' And that's when we had a falling out."

This is actually interesting. Courtesy of Anne Mcnally.
"AM: When did you get into art?
VG: I had a nervous breakdown and wanted to kill myself, but I wanted to leave a legacy. I had made a cassette of twelve instrumental songs and written a dozen poems to go with them, so I decided to do twelve small paintings. I worked very hard on these pieces, and in the process I found a little sanity. When you do something with your hands, even washing dishes, it settles you down. I didn't kill myself. Instead I created a life where I always had a million things to do."


From Greencine.
"GC:It seems like people misunderstand what you do, and it seems like a lot of things you do get misperceived. With the whole sex thing, people are so suspicious about your motivations.
VG: ...There was a Belgian filmmaker who insulted me about the opening credits and at one point I just said to him, 'You know what, man? You live in a fucking country where you show up at your own pace, at your own time. A country where there's no real chaos and no real risk. Try to make a fucking movie in America and see what it's like, fucking asshole.'"

From mondofausto.
"MF: Having directed your first film, after all the other things you've done in your life, do you now think of yourself as a "filmmaker"?
VG: I’ve always thought of myself as a hustler, a control freak. Being in a movie has a certain amount of impact: it has social status, it has freedom, money, recognition, it gives me the ability to meet other people that I find interesting, it allows me to introduce myself to women easier, it gives me validation, it allows me to take revenge on my mother and father, who doubted me - I mean, that’s the real attraction."

"MF: In some of your earlier interviews you would give the names of girls you knew in high school and ask them to contact you. Have you heard from any of them?
VG: Yes I did. A lot of them came to the premiere. Somewhere in my mind I became incapable of loving or being loved without an incredible amount of fear and hate and discomfort. So the only memories I have of being excited by girls in a nice way - they were so cute, those Sweet Home girls that I went to school with, the way girls did their hair then, those halter tops, that long straight shiny hair. Girls don’t dress like that anymore. It’s not the youth - I’m not really interested in teenage girls. I just like that more simple, more natural, less Gap, mall-dressing that they started doing later on. Those girls that I liked in high school have stuck out in my mind - I’ve never gotten over those first attractions. "

"MF: Are you getting along with your family now?
VG: I had a big catharsis in writing the script, and an even bigger one making the movie. I've grown fond of all the people in my family over the years. I haven’t forgotten really about the, uh, problematic relationships I had as a child, but I’ve certainly forgiven and moved on. I’m fairly resolved in those feelings - it’s not the main point of my basic nature anymore. My identity is not Vincent Gallo the resentful, angry, distrustful person that I was when I left home. I've just become this other asshole for other reasons."

That's probably enough, for now. Obviously these quotes are all out of context. Read the interviews. He's actually pretty thoughtful and intelligent. But he's also crazy, God bless him.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://onsauvvu.com/mfhq/dbou.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://ledfrizi.com/jnvl/khce.html]Cool site[/url]

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
My homepage | Please visit

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://onsauvvu.com/mfhq/dbou.html | http://ypzackbp.com/uakj/puuv.html

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home